Saturday, February 22, 2014

13 Steps to Positive Body Image

Okay, so I'm far from being an expert here. But I'm 33 and I've lived through two post natal depressions and losing 20kgs, so I've kinda had to do quite a bit of work on myself and how I see and accept myself.

So I thought I'd share with you what I've learned that does actually work. I hope it encourages you where you are at, and that you will find some ideas to help you along the road to positive body image.

1) Be thankful for everything your body CAN do.

2)  Find at least one thing about your body that you like and focus on that.

3) Think about how you can enhance that part of your body that you like. It could be with make-up, clothes, a new bra, nail polish, etc.

4) Do one thing for yourself every day. It could be as little as having a HOT cup of tea or coffee, or spraying on some perfume.


5) Make "Mummy / Daddy time" a priority. It is essential that you, as a parent, have some time to yourself to recharge. Otherwise, your tank will run dry, and you will run on empty, and everyone around you will pay for it. My husband and I have a deal: every weekend, he gets up to half a day to do his thing, and I get up to half a day.

If for some reason it doesn't work out once in a while, that's life. Don't beat yourself up. Take a deep breath and get through to the following week.

6) Make a list of what you'd enjoy doing during your "Mummy / Daddy time". Plan what you could do for your next one. You can't imagine all the positive energy that courses through you as you look forward to it during the week.

7) Choose one thing about your body that you don't like and think about how you could change that around. I hated my stretch marks after having babies, but I've now changed my mind. I now love them because if I didn't have them, I wouldn't have my two gorgeous children to love and cherish.

8) Once you've achieved number 7, choose another thing you don't like and work on that one. I'm working on my dislike of my thighs at the moment. Brrr... I shiver at the thought of them.


9) Accept that if you're a woman, you will probably never be entirely happy about your body - and that's OK.


10) Ask your partner what he/she loves about your body. You might be surprised and it could help you like those bits of you that you struggle with.

11) Thank God every day (or every time you think of it) for being alive and for being you.

12) On your mirror, write "I am beautiful".

13) Remind yourself that "true beauty" is not simply skin deep. Beauty is a state of mind, not a state of your body.


I love that we are all beautiful. I love that we are all made unique and priceless.
What are your steps to positive body image? What helps or has helped you?

Kia Kaha! Be strong!

PS. Yes, I do love Audrey Hepburn. I believe she's one of the most beautiful women, inside and out.

2 comments:

  1. What a great (and challenging) topic Ann. #1 particularly resonates with me at the moment, and could tie in with the topic of exercising. I've recently started exercising in a way that makes me strong, not just aerobically fit, and it feels really good to be learning what my body is capable of. And I like that my exercise is centred on making me strong and able, not "skinny and attractive." If I feel better about the way I look after I get stronger and fitter, well - that's an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. Yep I agree with you. We have an amazing body! Exercise for me has been way down the priority list, something that my hubby reminds me of regularly as it's top of the list for him! Something for me to work on!

      Delete