Tuesday, August 26, 2014

It's the little things

It's the little things that matter these days.

Not the "where will we be living in 5 years time?" big things.

No.

It's the "I'm enjoying this cup of coffee", or "the kids only fought 4 times today", or "the sun is shining", or "I can read a book for 5 minutes", or "wow, look at these flowers" things.


I've found life hard since coming back from our European "holiday" visiting family. Jet lag, sick kids, new routines, training a new au pair, a very busy husband at work, kids constantly at each other, Mr. 2 waking through the night, manners that seem to have stayed stuck in that last Air New Zealand flight to Wellington. The list goes on and on. The daily grind has been bearing down on me.

Last Saturday, my husband had to work, my au pair was sick, and Mister 2 was a M.O.N.S.T.E.R. He just cried and whined and said no. He wanted to "help" me vacuum (now that I think of it though, why was I even trying to do any housework on such a day??). He provoked his sister incessantly. She, for once, was being quite nice to him. No matter how often I separated him from his sister or redirected his attention, I was unsuccessful.

I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. Have you been there? Please tell me you have!

In the end, I arm-wrestled screaming and kicking Mr. 2 into his pram, grabbed Miss 5 and her scooter and we all zoomed down to the local beach cafe. Five minutes later, they were both calm and happy with ice creams, while I sipped a life-saving mug of tea (dreaming it was in fact red wine!).


I thought to myself, "I deserve a medal".

Every Mum should have a medal somewhere, that she can whip out and put around her neck for getting through hard moments. I'm actually considering making myself one!

Anyway, to get back to my story, when my husband (finally!) got home, I said to him, "please hug me tight and long". Bless him, he did.

After that day, I thought that from now on, I was going to focus on enjoying the little things in life. The big things will wait for awhile.

So, as I write to you, I'm enjoying an hour of "Mummy time", eating a slice of delish pizza, and drinking a hot cappuccino. And I am so thankful for my dear hubby who got home from work earlier than expected and graciously said, "go".


What is your go-to tactic when parenting becomes too much? Do you hide a medal somewhere that you pull out? How do you get through the daily grind?

I hope this post encouraged you. You are not alone finding your way around motherhood. And some days, even though you may have read heaps of parenting books and articles, you may have seen all these cool kid activities on facebook, you just don't have the energy. And it's okay. You're still going to get to the other side. And when you do, pat yourself on the back and say "well done". You are growing precious children, and if that's not the most important job in the world, I don't know what is.

Kia Kaha! Be Strong!

2 comments:

  1. For four years I was a solo mother of three grieving, hurting children. No husband to come home and hug me. The benefit didn't allow for coffees or any treats. I lived with the constant fear that CYFs or the children's father would take my children away from me. Yes, the little things like a child's hug were very precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you had to go through that. Life can be so hard and unfair. I hope things are looking up for you now.

      Delete